Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Teach Your Children Well

I know we posted a blog on our second day of teaching but I thought I would update everyone on the teaching situation now.

Like Derek said, the most stressful part is getting to and from school. We apparently have been late getting to the bus stop the past two mornings. The bus that runs at 8:00 takes us right to downtown and that leaves me with a 10-minute walk and Derek with about 20-minute walk. But the past two mornings we got to the stop at 8:05 and that bus takes us to the terminal, which adds an extra 10 minutes to our morning commute. Derek had to take cabs the past two mornings just to make it to school on time.

Yesterday I was informed that we had parents’ day at school and I had to dress formally. So, this morning I am wearing a black dress, tights, and my stilettos. Did I mention that I love that we don’t wear shoes in school! My feet would have hurt all day if I didn’t get to take off the high heels. It’s also so funny to see adults in suits and dresses but also in slippers!

Working with the students has been great for both of us so far. But, we’re still new to the school so I don’t know if the kids will think we are so cool and exciting in six months. The kids here have no fear and will ask all kinds of questions. During my first week, I had a student ask if I was married, is he handsome, and do we make babies. One girl asked if my wedding rings were real and how much did they cost. At lunch today, two kindergartners asked whether I dye my hair or not, because it is so light! And one of the fifth grade girls came up to me and said I had a beautiful voice. Well that was a first; it must be the southern accent!

Overall the students have been great. You do have some problem students but the majority of them have been well behaved. I did have to take a 3rd graders phone away during class (I don’t think he likes me anymore). You also have the students that like to be the center of attention and say things way too loud or with a funny voice just to get attention. But, I can’t blame them, how many times can you repeat. “Hi, I’m Minsu. Nice to meet you.” Without going crazy!

Here are some pictures of my 3rd grade class.



No comments:

Post a Comment