Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving in Korea

We hope everyone had a nice and safe Thanksgiving. I know everyone is worried about the news and we have been watching it closely, but as of now everything seems the same. We went to Seoul this weekend and nothing seemed out of the ordinary there either. If there is any change or we get any more information we will be sure to let everyone know.

Even though we had to work on Thanksgiving, Derek and I really still wanted to celebrate it in one way or another. So we volunteered to host dinner at our place. I made a trip to Seoul on Monday because I was determined to have green bean casserole. I've never gone a Thanksgiving without it and I wasn't going to start now. I was super lucky; not only did I get all the ingredients for green bean casserole, they also had Stove Top stuffing mix! On Wednesday we made a trip to Costco and I was able to get a pumpkin pie, an apple pie and some roasted chickens for dinner (they had frozen turkeys, but we don't have an oven).

It was strange working on Thanksgiving, but it didn't feel like Thanksgiving so I just had to force myself not to think about what I would be doing if I was at home on Thanksgiving (eating my Mom's elephant ears, yum!). I left school a little early to head home and start cooking and Derek carved the chickens, while I made deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and stuffing.

It was a different Thanksgiving than we were use to, but it was nice to celebrate it with our friends that have been such a big part of our lives here on the island. We didn't take lots of pictures, but here are a couple of our first Thanksgiving away from home.


This is a Thanksgiving banner I did with my after school class. We watched a small video about the first Thanksgiving then each student made one of these.


The rolls and chicken were from Costco, but I made everything else, the dip, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and stuffing. A friend also brought some chicken alfredo, which was great because we didn't have any leftovers really.


The Ganghwa Island crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment